Welcome to The Locket's photo blog! This blog is to showcase my most recent work, keep you updated, and let you get to know me better!

Images and text by Erin K. 'Manson' Kirchhoff.

Check out http://www.thelocketonline.com/ to view my complete portfolio.

Feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email. I would love to hear from you!

Thanks for stopping by!


Blog Archive

Friday, January 9, 2009

Anytime: Florida Trip

~E

As Sarah mentioned in a previous post, we decided to take December off from shooting - other than the weddings we had already booked. One of the things I decided to do with my bit of extra time was to treat myself to a trip. My father, brother, and I took our annual trip to the Hawkeye bowl game! In hopes the hawks would end of in Florida, we purchased our plane tickets quite early and saved a ton of mulla! If they didn't end up in Florida we bought cheap insurance so we could change our destination if needed. No such case! A few days before the game we left behind icy, freezing cold Iowa for hot, sunny Florida!

The first night we arrived about 11:30 pm and of course - had NO hotel booked. What fun would booking a hotel ahead of time be? We ended up staying near Sarasota (but not till nearly 4 am) and headed toward Boca Grand the next morning. Sidenote: this is why my mother and husband don't enjoy traveling with us. My brother's girlfriend's family has several condos on the island and it was a great chance to visit.


I've heard several times that Boca Grand is where all the presidents go to visit. Hmmmm... It's a quaint little town and definitely gorgeous enough! Many of the people drive golf carts around town rather than cars. My father and I stopped at the bakery one morning and it was nuts! There were supped-up golf carts everywhere.




The island was always so busy with people so I woke up super early one morning to walk downtown before things got hopping! These are some of my favorites!




Finally - Banyan Street without human beings! I tried this shot many times but there were always cars, bikes, people... These trees were incredible! The roots were crazy and there were vines hanging down all tied up in knots. Trees fascinate me and these in particular were gorgeous. They reminded me of the trees with Spanish moss you see in Georgia. Palm trees are bizarre to me too???










One day we drove down to the Everglades! Soooo cool! We took an airboat ride through the swamp (I have a video I plan to post if I can figure out to do it).

Before our turn to ride, we each got to hold this baby gator. The woman tapped it on its nose and it opened its mouth and "smiled". Nuts I say!







Holy cats! Go toward that tiny opening at 30 mph sitting on a bench on the end of a boat! I just prayed we didn't get snagged up and I went flying out to the gators. Or nail a bird with my forehead at 30 mph!

These birds looked like flamingos but weren't. Our guide explained they turn pink because of the fish they eat! Who knew?

Right next to the boat! Alligator, alligator - eat em up, eat em up!


This was the sunrise as we left the island to go to the game in Tampa!



Game time!




Check out all the empty seats! A lot of people left after they realized it was going to be a blowout, although it wasn't very packed to begin with either.


14 to 0 only two minutes in! 21 to 0, 3rd quarter.




Mitch King! We high-fived all of the Hawkeye players! What a great day!



I'm not sure what organization this was but we felt free to use it for a free photo opportunity! This is my brother and his woman Rachel!

And me with a flamingo! She kept rubbing her head on my arm and I hadn't see her do it to other people. The man told me she does that when she really likes the person. Awww, the flamingo loved me!


~E

No comments: