Welcome to The Locket's photo blog! This blog is to showcase my most recent work, keep you updated, and let you get to know me better!

Images and text by Erin K. 'Manson' Kirchhoff.

Check out http://www.thelocketonline.com/ to view my complete portfolio.

Feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email. I would love to hear from you!

Thanks for stopping by!


Blog Archive

Friday, June 19, 2009

Engagement: More Chad and Allyson

~ Manson

Phew!!! What a CRAZY day! As I was finishing up editing this session, it started to storm. Even though I only had about ten pics to finish up, I saw lightning and quickly shut down and unplugged my computer. I had sat at my computer all morning and even though the air was on, I had the window open a crack because I love to hear rain! After I shut my computer off I ran downstairs to turn my husband's new laptop off. Once I did that I went to the basement to be sure he shut off his desktop. As I was in the basement it started storming a million times worse and I could see water building up in the window wells. I walked over to the windows and realized it was already leaking through the floor into the carpet. My husband pulled the carpet up and I sprinted to the upstairs bathroom for towels. When I ran by my office I saw an even worse DISASTER!!! My 30" Mac was drenched!!! HOLY CRAP!!! (Sorry for the excessive exclamation points but they'll soon be justified!) This wasn't just kind of drenched either! Soaked! The crack the window was open must have blown WAY open in that five minute time span I ran downstairs to shut the other computers off. We have strange windows too - they open outward rather than up and down??? Regardless, my monitor, tower, new desk as of two days ago, external hard drive, and clear to my closet door were absolutely soaked. Thank goodness I had unplugged things before I originally left the room. I was so freaked out I didn't know what to do first. I had come upstairs to get towels for the basement and now this!!! All kinds of old photos I inherited from my grandfather from the early 1900's were wet too (and they were miles from the window). Unbelievable!!! So I frantically dry things off, freaking out the entire time - I just had to leave things to dry, say some mega prayers and go back to the basement problem.

My husband left in a panic to buy a ShopVac and I decided the only thing that would help would be to get rid of the water in the window wells. I crawled down into the well and began to shovel water and mud like crazy. I was drenched, scraped up, and pooped out but it helped. Our neighbors must have thought I was nuts! I'll skip to the good part - as of now, everything WORKS!!! The Lord is good - very, very good! We keep sucking up water in the basement and water leaked from my office floor through the kitchen ceiling but I think we have it under control. Now I just have to find new glasses because mine fell on the cement during the water scooping episode (and now have a chip right in the middle of the lens). Sorry for the vent session but that was crazy stressful and could have been a tremendously different outcome!

Sooo.... on to those pics I finally finished! Here's a few of my faves from Chad and Allyson's engagement session last week! They are getting married in Chad's home church because Allyson's is too small. Their wedding is this summer and they have arranged for us to take photos at Allyson's little white country church before the ceremony and I can't wait!






Many people have asked on my facebook page where this is at. This nutszoid stick weaving is at Ada Hayden Park in Ames, IA, and was created by Patrick Doughterty. One of my favorite all-time artists is Andy Goldsworthy and this strongly represents the outdoor sculptures he does! If you're interested, click on this link to see more pics of the incredible work of Patrick Dougherty.

Thanks to Allyson's sister, Ashley (our upcoming Hawaii bride), for recommending this site for photos! I think it'd be a fun field trip for my art students next year!









Advice for the day: Don't leave your windows open when it's raining (not even a crack) (not even for five minutes)!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

I see, so it's a SCULPTURE... Very cool! And I'm soooo glad your computer and everything are okay! i would've FREAKED too!